As you start the proceedings for your divorce in Madison, it makes sense to have a legal professional on your side. You may know people who have managed to get a divorce without hiring an attorney, but for most situations, this may not be the most practical idea. No matter whether you and your spouse want the divorce together or it is a case of a contested divorce, you need legal advice, which should come from an expert and not your friends. In this post, we are discussing key things about hiring a divorce attorney Madison, WI.
- Find someone who specializes in family law. You don’t need any general lawyer who deals with everything from rental agreements to divorces. The idea is to choose an attorney who practices family law in Madison. A local lawyer will be well-versed with the county laws and probably is familiar with judges, court staff, and others.
- Ask about mediation. Even if your spouse intends to contest your decision or doesn’t agree on sensitive issues, you don’t necessarily have to go for a trial. The best and most effective way to avoid litigation is to choose divorce mediation. Work with an attorney who has experience representing clients at mediation.
- Discuss the lawyer’s fee. Law firms in Madison often charge a flat fee for uncontested divorces, and you may end up spending less than $3,000 for a simple divorce. The standard norm is an hourly rate for contested divorces, and it is best to know the expenses involved. Ask your potential lawyer for an estimate.
- Find about their trial experience. When mediation and negotiations fail, you may have to represent your case in court, and divorce trials are often draining. Ask the attorney if they have represented clients in court and whether they have a high success rate. Your lawyer should be ready to deal with all situations related to the divorce.
- Check the reviews. Online reviews and social media feedback can help you compare local divorce lawyers. If a law firm has hundreds of positive reviews, you can always ignore a few bad ones. Make sure that the lawyer’s profile is positive.
Finally, ask the attorney if they are available to handle your divorce. The last thing you would want is to chase your lawyer to get updates on the case. Also, your lawyer should offer you clear channels for communication and must answer all your questions with patience. Hire an attorney before you file for divorce in Madison to get the paperwork right.